Pt. 121, App. K
Appendix K to Part 121—Performance Requirements for Certain Turbopropeller Powered Airplanes
1. Applicability. This appendix specifies requirements for the following turbopropeller powered airplanes that must comply with the Airplane Performance Operating Limitations in §§ 121.189 through 121.197:
a. After December 20, 2010, each airplane manufactured before March 20, 1997 and type certificated in the:
i. Normal category before July 1, 1970, and meets special conditions issued by the Administrator for airplanes intended for use in operations under part 135 of this chapter.
ii. Normal category before July 19, 1970, and meets the additional airworthiness standards in SFAR No. 23 of 14 CFR part 23.
iii. Normal category, and complies with the additional airworthiness standards in appendix A of part 135 of this chapter.
iv. Normal category, and complies with section 1.(a) or 1.(b) of SFAR No. 41 of 14 CFR part 21.
b. After March 20, 1997, each airplane:
i. Type certificated prior to March 29, 1995, in the commuter category.
ii. Manufactured on or after March 20, 1997, and that was type certificated in the normal category, and complies with the requirements described in paragraphs 1.a.i through iii of this appendix.
2. Background. Sections 121.157 and 121.173(b) require that the airplanes operated under this part and described in paragraph 1 of this appendix, comply with the Airplane Performance Operating Limitations in §§ 121.189 through 121.197. Airplanes described in § 121.157(f) and paragraph 1.a of this appendix must comply on and after December 20, 2010. Airplanes described in § 121.157(e) and paragraph 1.b of this appendix must comply on and after March 20, 1997. (Airplanes type certificated in the normal category, and in accordance with SFAR No. 41 of 14 CFR part 21, as described in paragraph 1.a.iv of this appendix, may not be produced after October 17, 1991.)
3. References. Unless otherwise specified, references in this appendix to sections of part 23 of this chapter are to those sections of 14 CFR part 23, as amended by Amendment No. 23-45 (August 6, 1993, 58 FR 42156).
4. Interim Airplane Performance Operating Limitations.
a. Until December 20, 2010, airplanes described in paragraph 1.a of this appendix may continue to comply with the requirements in subpart I of part 135 and § 135.181(a)(2) of this chapter that apply to small, nontransport category airplanes.
b. Until March 20, 1997, airplanes described in paragraph 1.b.i of this appendix may continue to comply with the requirements in subpart I of part 135 of this chapter that apply to commuter category airplanes.
5. Final Airplane Performance Operating Limitations.
a. Through an amended type certification program or a supplemental type certification program, each airplane described in paragraph 1.a and 1.b.ii of this appendix must be shown to comply with the commuter category performance requirements specified in this appendix, which are included in part 23 of this chapter. Each new revision to a current airplane performance operating limitation for an airplane that is or has been demonstrated to comply, must also be approved by the Administrator. An airplane approved to the requirements of section 1.(b) of SFAR No. 41 of 14 CFR part 21, as described in paragraph 1.a.iv of this appendix, and that has been demonstrated to comply with the additional requirements of section 4.(c) of SFAR No. 41 of 14 CFR part 21 and International Civil Aviation Organization Annex 8 (available from the FAA, 800 Independence Avenue SW., Washington, DC 20591), will be considered to be in compliance with the commuter category performance requirements.
b. Each turbopropeller powered airplane subject to this appendix must be demonstrated to comply with the airplane performance operating limitation requirements of this chapter specified as follows:
i. Section 23.45 Performance General.
ii. Section 23.51 Takeoff.
iii. Section 23.53 Takeoff speeds.
iv. Section 23.55 Accelerate stop distance.
v. Section 23.57 Takeoff path.
vi. Section 23.59 Takeoff distance and takeoff run.
vii. Section 23.61 Takeoff flight path.
viii. Section 23.65 Climb: All engines operating.
ix. Section 23.67 Climb: one engine inoperative.
x. Section 23.75 Landing.
xi. Section 23.77 Balked landing.
6. Operation. After compliance with the final airplane performance operating limitations requirements has been demonstrated and added to the Airplane Flight Manual performance data of the affected airplane, that airplane must be operated in accordance with the performance limitations of §§ 121.189 through 121.197.
[Doc. No. 28154, 60 FR 65936, Dec. 20, 1995, as amended by Doc. No. OST-2002-13435]