Final decisions without hearing.
(a) The Associate Administrator may transfer to the FAA Assistant Administrator for Civil Rights the responsibility to prepare and issue Final Agency Decisions pursuant to this section for appeals with issues concerning civil rights.
(b) The Associate Administrator will issue a final decision on appeal from the Director's Determination, without a hearing, where—
(1) The complaint is dismissed after investigation;
(2) A hearing is not required by statute and is not otherwise made available by the FAA; or
(3) The FAA provides opportunity for a hearing to the respondent and the respondent waives the opportunity for a hearing as provided in subpart E of this part.
(c) In the cases described in paragraph (b) of this section, within 30 days after the date of service of the initial determination, a party adversely affected by the Director's Determination may file in accordance with § 16.13 and serve in accordance with § 16.15 a simultaneous Notice of Appeal and Brief.
(d) A reply to an appeal brief may be filed within 20 days after the date of service of the appeal.
(e) On appeal, the Associate Administrator will consider the issues addressed in any order on a motion to dismiss or motion for summary judgment and any issues accepted in the Director's Determination using the following analysis:
(1) Are the findings of fact each supported by a preponderance of reliable, probative, and substantial evidence contained in the record?
(2) Are conclusions made in accordance with law, precedent and policy?
(3) Are the questions on appeal substantial?
(4) Have any prejudicial errors occurred?
(f) Any new issues or evidence presented in an appeal or reply will not be considered unless accompanied by a petition and good cause found as to why the new issue or evidence was not presented to the Director. Such a petition must:
(1) Set forth the new matter;
(2) Contain affidavits of prospective witnesses, authenticated documents, or both, or an explanation of why such substantiation is unavailable; and
(3) Contain a statement explaining why such new issue or evidence could not have been discovered in the exercise of due diligence prior to the date on which the evidentiary record closed.
(g) The Associate Administrator will issue a final decision and order within 60 days after the due date of the reply.
(h) If no appeal is filed within the time period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, the Director's Determination becomes the final decision and order of the FAA without further action. A Director's Determination that becomes final, because there is no administrative appeal, is not judicially reviewable.
(i) No requests for rehearing, reargument, reconsideration, or modification of a final order will be considered without a finding of good cause.
[Amdt. 16-1, 78 FR 56145, Sept. 12, 2013]