(a) Upon the first major overhaul of an airplane cabin or refurbishing of the cabin interior, all materials in each compartment used by the crew or passengers that do not meet the following requirements must be replaced with materials that meet these requirements:
(1) For an airplane for which the application for the type certificate was filed prior to May 1, 1972, § 25.853 in effect on April 30, 1972.
(2) For an airplane for which the application for the type certificate was filed on or after May 1, 1972, the materials requirement under which the airplane was type certificated.
(b) Except as provided in paragraph (a) of this section, each compartment used by the crew or passengers must meet the following requirements:
(1) Materials must be at least flash resistant.
(2) The wall and ceiling linings and the covering of upholstering, floors, and furnishings must be flame resistant.
(3) Each compartment where smoking is to be allowed must be equipped with self-contained ash trays that are completely removable and other compartments must be placarded against smoking.
(4) Each receptacle for used towels, papers, and wastes must be of fire-resistant material and must have a cover or other means of containing possible fires started in the receptacles.
(c) Thermal/acoustic insulation materials. For transport category airplanes type certificated after January 1, 1958:
(1) For airplanes manufactured before September 2, 2005, when thermal/acoustic insulation is installed in the fuselage as replacements after September 2, 2005, the insulation must meet the flame propagation requirements of § 25.856 of this chapter, effective September 2, 2003, if it is:
(i) of a blanket construction or
(ii) Installed around air ducting.
(2) For airplanes manufactured after September 2, 2005, thermal/acoustic insulation materials installed in the fuselage must meet the flame propagation requirements of § 25.856 of this chapter, effective September 2, 2003.
[Doc. No. 19799, 45 FR 67235, Oct. 9, 1980, as amended by Amdt. 125-43, 68 FR 45084, July 31, 2003; Amdt. 125-50, 70 FR 77752, Dec. 30, 2005]