To be eligible to apply for an individual or joint project for development with respect to a particular airport a sponsor must—
(a) Be a public agency, which includes for the purposes of this part only, a State, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam or an agency of any of them; a municipality or other political subdivision; a tax-supported organization; or the United States or an agency thereof;
(b) Be legally, financially, and otherwise able to—
(1) Make the certifications, representations, and warranties in the application form prescribed in § 151.67(a);
(2) Make, keep, and perform the assurances, agreements, and covenants in that form; and
(3) Meet the other applicable requirements of the Federal Airport Act and subparts B and C;
(c) Have, or be able to obtain, enough funds to meet the requirements of § 151.23; and
(d) Have, or be able to obtain, property interests that meet the requirements of § 151.25(a).
For the purpose of paragraph (a) of this section, the United States, or an agency thereof, is not eligible for a project under subparts B and C, unless the project—
(1) Is located in Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, or Guam;
(2) Is in or is in close proximity to a national park, a national recreation area, or a national monument; or
(3) Is in a national forest or a special reservation for United States purposes.
[Doc. No. 1329, 27 FR 12351, Dec. 13, 1962, as amended by Amdt. 151-8, 30 FR 8040, June 23, 1965]